violent femmes review

There's a problem loading this menu right now. There’s one sublime moment: Paris to Sleep is a Jonathan Richman-esque reflection on the marvels of that city, with a delicate and stately arrangement that’s shiveringly good. The Dynamics are on par with the best. Reviewed in the United States on July 14, 2018. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. There is no track data on the disc so no "smart" disc players can display this info. You might want to look further if your looking for an in-depth review.

It affirms Violent Femmes’ place as one of the greatest contributors to both the punk and the American musical canon.

Reviewed in the United States on October 27, 2003. Reviewed in the United States on June 30, 2018. This is a classic album that I grew up listening to and needed to get it on vinyl. I will always associate my angst-filled teen years with groups such as the Violent Femmes, The Cure, and The Smiths because these guys seemed to relate to my own anxieties and frustrations in a way no one around me possibly could. Justin Bieber? It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. This thing is horrible.

The Violent Femmes' 1983 self-titled debut is one of the most groundbreaking, important, influential, and enjoyable albums ever released, a musical testament that speaks to all dispossessed souls then, now, and probably forever.

Listen the Violent Femmes greatest hits CD does not run as smooth as this first release of theirs. I have the original 2002 2 CD Remaster, and this asian label Remaster sounds better. I know all of the songs by heart, seeing as how I played the cassette until it was worn down.

Rhino has another Great Remaster on there list of Great Remasters. A Violent Femmes album is always a treat; witty, lucid, self-deprecating, beat-up but ever-reliable.

Don't hesitate, you will be rewarded. This CD never gets old.

[Sep 2019, p.89]. CD was damaged - first track marked and skipped - otherwise it's a pretty good disk. Shop Vinyl and CDs and complete your Violent Femmes collection.

It's definitely a quality repress of a quality album that will have you singing along for years to come.

This page works best with JavaScript.

If you don't know this album already then you must purchase.

Beware. Nightmares is the song most likely to appeal to those with more conventional musical tastes, but the true gems here are See My Ships and Nothing Worth Living For. Good stuff! This album is a classic. Fast forward to now and I'm still listening to this timeless album over a Bluetooth connection from my iPhone. There's a problem loading this menu right now. There’s one sublime moment: Paris to Sleep is a Jonathan Richman-esque reflection on the marvels of that city, with a delicate and stately arrangement that’s shiveringly good. I am telling you this is a must have for any Violent Femmes Fan. Over twenty years later, this album is still influencing those of us who grew up with Gordon Gano, Brian Ritchie, and Victor Delorenzo, but even more incredibly it continues to have a real impact on the next generation of young people searching for meaning in a confusing world. "Breakin' Up," a song lead singer Gordon Gano had written years before, was the lead single. If you like alternative music with a bit of an edge music this is a great album. Reviewed in the United States on January 7, 2019. Just saw the Violent Femmes in concert and they played a lot of their newer stuff, so I purchased this CD to reminisce on their old stuff.
... It’s a solid representation of what they do well and an impish and occasionally truly insightful good time. Their first album was a classic, their second one pretty bad. I am telling you this is a must have for any Violent Femmes Fan. Also, it only gets better and better as you play over time. At the time I didn't realize that it was the band that did blister in the sun. Faster tunes such as Dating Days, Lies, Telephone Book, and Just Like My Father just don't seem to have the kind of meaning that most VF songs have, yet they are still fun to listen to. Mother of a Girl does build up to a great Gordon Gano frenzy, but lifeless tunes such as Fat and Outside the Palace serve as aural speed bumps along the path this music lays out.

There is some sort of issue getting the tracks to launch on occasion. However cd has two extra tracks. I loved it immediately. Their first two CD's are really cool (the other one is Hallowed Ground, also an excellent Remaster from an asian label). [Aug 2019, p.95]. “It is his karma that he lost his songwriting ability many years ago, probably due to his own lack of self-respect as his willingness to prostitute our songs demonstrates,” Ritchie said. And if you're like me and haven't heard the songs in a while, it may be worth another listen, it was well worth it for me. Released 13 April 1983 on Slash (catalog no. The 25 Best Console Launch Games (Since 2000), Music title data, credits, and images provided by, Movie title data, credits, and poster art provided by. A few stand-out sections that came to life on vinyl (to my ear) include: After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in.

Of course, amazing. It's almost all you ever need.

Still love it over 20 years later except it's better now because I can sing along.

You can still see all customer reviews for the product. I remember the first time I heard this album. Reviewed in the United States on April 14, 2015, Awesome. But even the best songs here – Not OK, Everlasting You (the Velvet Underground, if Lou Reed had predated Thomas Edison) – would have been minor numbers on the first two albums. Of course, amazing. A rather mellow offering from Gano and the guys, Reviewed in the United States on November 19, 2002.

At least the low point is dispensed with immediately. This page works best with JavaScript. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average.

You can still see all customer reviews for the product. In all likelihood, they will never top it. ... Hotel Last Resort is all of that.

Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon.

Its video received minor airplay on MTV and appears on the band's DVD, Permanent Record - Live & Otherwise. It is the first album to not feature original drummer Victor DeLorenzo on drums, who had been replaced by Guy Hoffman.

© 2020 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. Great music is hard to ruin, but Concord Music Group nails it with this disc.

Take your pick quality or quantity, Reviewed in the United States on March 17, 2016.

The band mixes things up with the a cappella word salad of "Sleepin' at the Meeting" and the sentimental balladry of "Paris to Sleep." There is no track data on the disc so no "smart" disc players can display this info.

You cannot go wrong with this Violent Femmes Master Piece. I have never heard a really bad record from them. The Femmes were such an essential part of my teens and 20s. It's hard to believe but I still find myself singin' to these songs some 30 years later. This may not be the crowd pleaser their other cd's are, but it's good none the less. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. What's this? After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Reviewed in the United States on December 5, 2016. The rest? "Why can't I get just one ...BRAAAANNG!

Reviewed in the United States on September 7, 2014, Reviewed in the United States on December 30, 2015. I have the original 2002 2 CD Remaster, and this asian label Remaster sounds better.

Reviewed in the United States on January 16, 2013. A few stand-out sections that came to life on vinyl (to my ear) include: After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in.

Not a record to be taken at face value, it begs for a conscious listen, start to finish. !, reissued stateside in 1998), Freak Magnet is a pleasant surprise in its focus and consistency, marking yet another return to the group's folk-punk roots -- the punk side of the equation in particular. There is some sort of issue getting the tracks to launch on occasion. The Violent Femmes have released a total of nine albums and I own this and "Hallowed Ground." By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Their ageing indie audience expects nothing less and should be more than happy to check into this hotel of last resort.

Read honest and unbiased product reviews from our users. Violent Femmes – Hotel Last Resort A posied and provoking record, Hotel Last Resort consolidates Violent Femmes as one of the greatest contributors to both the punk and the American musical canon Album Review by Bethany Davison | 24 Jul 2019 The Violent Femmes' 1983 self-titled debut is one of the most groundbreaking, important, influential, and enjoyable albums ever released, a musical testament that speaks to all dispossessed souls then, now, and probably forever. Reviewed in the United States on March 12, 2014.

There is no track data on the disc so no "smart" disc players can display this info. Hahaha.
Reviewed in the United States on July 14, 2018.

This page works best with JavaScript. This is how clever and catchy and timeless this is.

Violent Femmes is the debut album by Violent Femmes.Mostly recorded in July 1982, the album was released by Slash Records on vinyl and on cassette in April 1983 and on CD in 1987 with two extra tracks "Ugly" and "Gimme the Car"..

12 Hahaha. Try This One!

If saying "does what it says on the box" is cliche - I'll just say the Femmes have done it again.

And like the other albums, this one has it's share of sing-a-longs. My coworker was like, "aren't those the guys that did blister in the sun? I like the Violent Femmes. After hearing "Blister In The Sun" at one too many parties, I decided to check out "3".

9 23845-1; Vinyl LP).

If you don't know this album already then you must purchase. New Times is the sixth studio album released by Violent Femmes in 1994. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness.

This has always been my favorite VF album, though songs from others rate higher for me. All our journalism is independent and is in no way influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative.

The pace is fairly laid-back, and it is my opinion that the Violent Femmes succeed best at uptempo, frenetic pieces. Genres: Folk Punk, Alternative Rock, Acoustic Rock, Post-Punk. I have never heard a really bad record from them.

Some debut albums can be quite unorganized and sloppy, but this is a magnificent and a well done debut. Over twenty years later, this album is still influencing those of us who grew up with Gordon Gano, Brian Ritchie, and Victor Delorenzo, but even more incredibly it continues to have a real impact on the next generation of young people searching for meaning in a confusing world. A favorite album of mine. I don't really care that much for any of the other CD's by the Violent Femmes. What more can you ask for? I don't know if any album that can cause a group of people who know the songs to erupt into chorus whether the songs are playing or not. VFs don't change their formula much but this is a fun album. I wish more Vinyl went to Rhino for Remastering. File under average. Now, I listen to vinyl records and was thrilled to see this available. This sounds great on vinyl. I've bought some records new that skipped terribly, but this one sounds great!

File under average. Discover releases, reviews, credits, songs, and more about Violent Femmes - 3 at Discogs. The Violent Femmes music …

Sabrina Carpenter Height In Cm, Apple 1984 Commercial Script, Hotel Metropole Brussels, Mad Mad World Song, Dentdale Cumbria, Samuel French Musicals, El Dorado County, Ss 2020 Cheats, Cars 4, Angie Thomas New Book 2020, The Ringer Succession Season 2 Episode 7, Quakerraina Instagram, Jinja Ninja Dish Tv Game, Righteousness In Hebrew Definition, Crown Royal Whisky, Ktar News Reporters, Naish Cottage, Beaufort, Sc Restaurants, 6ix Win, Barry Lyndon Reddit, No New Friends Meaning, Jack And Jones Jeans, Len Credlin, Stream Sports Channels, Cup Of Joe Meaning, Erykah Badu Son Seven, The Colour Of Magic Page Count, Julianna Margulies Scrubs, Damon Wayans Sr Net Worth 2020, K League Table, Sorcerer Movie Trucks, The Net Movie Summary, Fred Harteis, Joseph James Countess Vaughn, Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 2 Steam, Orlando Magic Home Schedule, Shi Stadium, Nilfgaardian Armor Location, Leah On The Offbeat Theme, Uninhabited Places On Earth, New Life Promise Success Stories, Whit Bissell Net Worth, Navy Blue And Gold Color Scheme, Barbara Robbin 2020, Woman Turning 40 Quotes, Yosef App State, Little Bit Meaning Synonym, At Any Price What Happens, Pay Child Support Online, Eurosport Snooker Live, The Most Dangerous Man In America Netflix, What Does Tristan Say To One Stab When He Meets Susannah, Meet The Crew Lyrics, Appalachian State In State Requirements, Undefeated Kickboxers, Aint Nobody Takin My Baby Chords, Witcher 3 How To Get To Faroe, The Open Championship, Michael Irvin Jersey, Joe Marler Book, Second Extinction Dinosaurs, How To Pronounce Rumble, Black Monday Season 2 Finale, L4d2 7 Hours Later, Horizons West Trailer, Too Dope Meaning, Grock Mobile Legends, Intent To Destroy Documentary Watch Online, Ethical Dilemma In Nursing, Eminem - Lose Yourself Lyrics, Rebellion Season 2 Episode Recap, Cathal Pendred Wife, 6950 Kester Ave, Arsenal Results 2020, The Fairly Oddparents Characters, Joe Sugg Height, Eminem Grammy 2020, Arsenal Total Trophies, Ucf Logo Svg, Shine On Me Hymn, The Grey Ending, Noelia Marte Death, How To Make A Talkbox For Keyboard, Michael Hope Mena Suvari,

Leave a Reply