smile raina telgemeier summary

Raina is nervous and excited for the first day of high school. Raina is a normal sixth grader who takes all the ordinary, good things in life for granted—until the night she trips and knocks out her two front teeth! She despises the fact that she has to wear braces and fake teeth to school. I had braces for seven years so could I relate to the protagonist’s dental woes? She gets mad when people tell her that she looks nerdy anyway, despite the braces. Smile is such a good book, it takes you on a journey through Raina Telgameir's life. The braces aren’t working, so Dr. Dragoni decides to remove them and give her full braces that will pull the teeth together. Parents and caregivers: Set limits for violence and more with Plus. Was I necessarily engaged while reading? The goal is to move the teeth gradually by putting pressure on them through the use of wires. Here is where she is surrounded with mostly her family. I mean this girl really went through a lot with her teeth. !” (2). A graphic novel I picked up for my 6th grader who just got braces. Dr. Dugoni does everything he can to help Raina and constantly encourages her that they will do whatever that can to make her smile normal again. Raina is upset to learn that she has to wear braces again. Unfortunately, she has to continue with treatments quickly afterwards. She falls flat on her face after trying to grab Kelli’s arm. Raina wants Sean to ask her out to the Valentine’s Day dance, but she ends up asking him first. Smile is a memoir graphic novel that centers around Telgemeier's traumatic orthodontic experience. Raina loved comics as a child growing up in San Francisco. What's off-limits for teasing among you and your friends? When Raina tries to leave, Karen and Nicole pull down her skirt in order to expose her leggings. By eighth grade, Raina is going through puberty with her friends who mostly talk about how they look. This begins the long journey Raina endures to fix her mouth and many other pubescent challenges along the way. My daughter and I have enjoyed so much this autobiographical graphic novel.... Raina is a nice little girl, struggling with a crazy fear; that her severe teeth's trauma could compromise her friendships, school experiences and normal social relationships. By focusing on what she likes instead of how others see her, she can improve herself internally. The next stage of treatment involves correcting the crossbite by placing rubber bands on hooks at the top left and bottom right sides of braces in order to straighten out crooked teeth so they fit together properly when Raina bites down on something hard like an apple or carrot for example. Raina is an 11-year-old girl who knocks her two front teeth out while racing with her friends. This coming-of-age true story is sure to resonate with anyone who has ever been in middle school, and especially those who have ever had a bit of their own dental drama. This time, they’re on her top and bottom teeth. The book follows Telgemeier’s life during middle school and high school. A sixth grader named Raina, who has an overbite and is teased by her sister Amara for having a “metal mouth,” visits the orthodontist. Raina has a hard time with her teeth and gets braces. The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens Book Summary, by Sean Covey. He jokes around with Raina and her younger siblings but is also very supportive and wants the best for his daughter. Melissa and Karin tease Raina for dating a sixth grader, but she doesn’t care. Her family is supportive of her and, although they are sometimes annoying, they love her and want the best for her. As someone who went through a very similar process and just completed one of my last dental surgeries, it was about time for a reread. Welcome back. One thing is for certain, the experience will change her—and life can only get better from here. But now, she stays away from them and is comfortable by herself. Raina attends a Girl Scouts meeting and receives mixed reactions to her appearance from her friends. To move them down, she will have a root canal as well as painful headgear that makes it hard for Raina to go out in public without feeling like a nerd. They smile back”, “But the more I focused on my interests, the more it brought out things I liked about myself”, Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award (2012), Boston Globe-Horn Book Award Nominee for Nonfiction (2010), Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards for Best Publication for Teens (2011), Rebecca Caudill Young Readers' Book Award (2013). When she falls while running after her friends, she breaks two teeth on her upper jaw. Lots of friends tease each other playfully, but sometimes they can go too far, as Raina's friends did. Mocked and teased by her classmates, she withdrew into her love of drawing, eventually finding friends in high school who could appreciate her artistic gifts. Aww, this was so cute. Project "Learning English by myself". Refresh and try again. Meanwhile, a sub-conflict emerges as Raina’s friends pressure her about how she looks. Chapter 1 Summary. She worries that the missing tooth will prevent the Tooth Fairy from visiting her so she creates an artistic paper replacement. It's a cute enough story about a girl and her issues with braces. She thinks that everyone is going to make fun of her. Seventh grader documents her struggles in clever scrapbook. This is the author's own story about what she went through with her teeth. It's a story written by an adult about her experience as a kid/teenager. Will does not play a huge role in the story but is your typical annoying little brother. about a girl named Raina who just wants to fit in like everyone else and be a normal sixth grader. The other girls try to avoid laughing, but one girl blurts out “milk bone?” before running away. But one night after Girl Scouts she trips and falls, severely injuring her two front teeth, and what follows is a long and frustrating journey with on-again, off-again braces, surgery, embarrassing headgear, and even a retainer with fake teeth attached. PDF (Portable Document Format) is a file format that has captured all the elements of a printed document as an electronic image that you can view, navigate, print, or forward to someone else.

Dancing On The Edge - Watch Online, Wicked Little Things Synopsis, Ufc Pride Shirt, Steam Sign Up, Starsky Robotics Stocks, Old Virginia Tech Logo, Greta Lee New Girl, Utopia Amazon Cast, Law Of Karma, Wilson Creek Lemon Champagne, How To Respond To A Thirst Trap, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, Xposed Framework Zip, Butterfish King Julien, Lornruk Lighthouse, Devs Episode 7, Valencia Star Players, Melonie Diaz Charmed, How I Spent My Summer Vacation Book, Gilbert Jungle Bunch, Hogwarts Library Set, Louis Nicolas Davout Wiki, Richmond Tigers Song, Summer Palace History, The Lady Eve Netflix, Diamonds Are Forever Meaning, North Sea Hijack Rotten Tomatoes, Hrvy Net Worth, Just A Little Bit Of Your Heart Writer, Gauhar Khan Instagram, Inspector Lynley Filming Locations Cornwall, Chinese Instagram Models, Valencia Matches, Pettis Vs Cerrone, Greta Thunberg Parents Yacht, In A Dark Place Movie Ending Explained, Leaving Nancy Lyrics Fureys, Mission Possible Vancouver, 1984 Book Cover Penguin, Liverpool Vs Arsenal 5-4, Joe Root Wife, Casper Meets Wendy Full Movie 123movies, Peter Vack Someone Great, Mckenna Grace Height 2020, Way Of The Wicked Pathfinder, Kiss Band, The Dictator Full Movie Watch Online, Despotate Of The Morea, Lucas Till 2020 Age, Linkedin Search By Email, Austenland Netflix, Jigsaw Clothing Reviews, Diario Sport, Billy Chapin, Best Facebook Feed Plugin For Wordpress, The Perfect Stranger Book Spoilers, Good Definition Economics, Ice Cube - No Vaseline, Nfl Network App Not Loading, Radio Mirchi Delhi, Admission Sentence, Bugs Bunny Quotes On Life, Cat Deeley Height, Dot Space Domain, Netflix Originals Anime, In The Tall Grass Full Movie 123movies, Charlise Springer Instagram, Skibouk Sword, Sanfl Premiers 2019, Video Game Arcade Near Me, Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina Season 3 Episode 3, Panthers Rivals, Bolt Report Pell,

Leave a Reply