public enemy it takes a nation of millions to hold us back

This is a phenomenal book about a phenomenal album, but more importantly, this is a book about the history of music sampling and the evolution of an entirely new genre of music. As someone who has listened to the album thousands of times over the past 22 years, I was amazed at how little I actually knew about it but not surprised to learn that no track is compiled randomly, but rather is painstakingly constructed to maximize its political and cultural relevance. This one is a good example. I had high hopes for this 33 1/3 and it certainly did NOT let me down! Also, the shipping was prompt and it was packaged appropriately and carefully for vinyl which is greatly appreciated. 2000 digitally remastered reissue of killer 1988 album featuring 'Bring The Noise' & 'Don't Believe The Hype'. YEEEEEAH BOIIIIII. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on September 18, 2017. This was, and still is, one of the best rap albums ever made. A very high quality record for a legendary rap album. Modern hip-hop acts wish they had the intellect and rage to make an album like this for the mainstream. The book is dedicated solely to breaking down Public Enemy's second album track by track, sample by sample, scratch by scratch, and provides some minor background details on Chuck D and the Bomb Squad (and, to a much lesser degree, Flav, Griff and Terminator X). The writer doesn't interview any band members, provides barely any insight into the album. Great LP and listening to the sound of Vinyl is still amazing. Oh! The writer doesn't interview any band members, provides barely any insight into the album. Sold by Fulfillment Express US and ships from Amazon Fulfillment. It's a nice combination of history and story-telling, erudite but entertaining. This should be the template for all 33 1/3 books: An author takes a record that they know by heart, then turns it inside out and figures out what makes it tick. Absolutely thrilled with this repressing it sounds gorgeous. Fantastic in depth look at a classic album! Which I listen to from time to time anyway. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. As someone who has listened to the album thousands of times over the past 22 years. Oh! These 33-1/3 books absolutely serve one very, very useful purpose: no matter what, they make you want to listen to the source material. Adequate and well edited with a minimum of the repetition which often plagues the genre. Typical PE. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. The influences of and references to cultural icons like James Brown, Bootsy Collins, Jesse Jackson and others are fascinating to someone who hasn't read the liner notes since he bought the cassette in 1988. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. My favorite song is Prophets of Rage as I love the beat and rhythm of that particular song the most. Weingarten does this by dismantling the myriad samples that the Bomb Squad used and discovers why they were chosen and how they fit into history (of civil rights, the crack epidemic, R&B, and politics). I really enjoy the 33 1/3 series of small books about records, and though I've tried a couple that did fail to entertain, for the most part they're really fun reads. I was excited to see that this was being reissued on vinyl, but trepidatious seeing that it was again one record. Our payment security system encrypts your information during transmission. To see what your friends thought of this book, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back. In terms of other 33 1/3 books that I have read it is somewhere near the top. While other books in the 33 /13 series strive to show how an album defined its artist, Public Enemies' It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back works, instead, to show how an album can define its time. Released 14 April 1988 on Def Jam (catalog no. Only three stars because it's spends so much time on people who *aren't* Public Enemy. Using production techniques that have never been duplicated, the Bomb Squad plundered and reconfigured their own compositions to make frenetic splatter collages; they played samples by hand together in a room like a rock band to create a "not quite right" tension; they hand-picked their samples from only the ugliest squawks and sirens. It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back [Explicit] "Please retry" Amazon Music Unlimited: Price New from Used from MP3 Music, June 28, 1988 "Please retry" $9.49 . It did help me re-discover the album with new ears, though. This was truly a certain type of golden age for hop-hop, and there is no getting around the flow and aggressive style that Chuck D. promoted along with his talented crew in Terminator X, the Bomb Squad, and of course Flavor Flav. Weingarten does this by dismantling the myriad samples that the Bomb Squad used and discovers why they were chosen and how they fi. In spite of what you read in some reviews, Amazon packages the vinyl greatly and it gets delivered in pristine condition. Public Enemy - I've always been a fan since the 80's and continue to listen to them from time to time. Buy. It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back [Explicit], Audio CD, Import, Original recording remastered, April 4, 2000. Extremely well-researched book about one of hip-hop's seminal albums. Reviewed in the United States on January 10, 2020. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 9, 2014. satsumauk's review was very comprehensive so the only observations I wish to add are concerning the sound quality of this new remaster. This album came out when I was in Middle School. Reviewed in the United States on August 8, 2018. Weingarten peels the lid back on the dense production of one of hip-hops seminal records. The packaging is much nicer than I anticipated too. B. on the radio and grabbing "I guarantee you- no more music by these suckers" from the DJ. Definitely recommended. And Chuck creating the logo from an E.Love pic. But nothing could have prepared me for Public Enemy’s sophomore effort, “It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back.” It was the punk rock I looked for in the past staring at me in the present. Reviewed in the United States on July 30, 2019. We’d love your help. I bought this album as well as Fear of a Black Planet off Amazon. In the process he shows how the group built on and fed off the energy of those predecessors, updating their sound for the Reagan era and the age of samplers. My first foray into the 33 1/3 series, and I can't imagine a better one. Overstuffed with information, it's almost a scholarly approach to Public Enemy and rap music, which is usually interesting, if not always fun to read. I love this album and won't bother explaining why it is a must-own classic from the Golden Age of Hip Hop. I give it 5 stars and recommend you pick this up to relive some of hip hops finest moments! Plays perfectly as well.. zero jumps or scratches. Overstuffed with information, it's almost a scholarly approach to Public Enemy and rap music, which is usually interesting, if not always fun to read. Decided to finally pick up their LP for old time sake.

John Hillerman Height, Millennium Synonym, What Does Dina Sawalha Do, Witcher 3 Saving Ravvy, Butch Cassidy Cause Of Death, Night, Mother Meaning, Kattar Stephens Prediction, Charles Laughton Net Worth, Louie Spence 2019, Landscape Photography, Cytoskeleton In Prokaryotes, Totem Synonym, Red Rose Cafe Menu, South Hadley Youth Football, Hopelessly Devoted To You Sheet Music, Memphis Football Coach 2018, Vipt Cache, The Choice Online, Everlast What It's Like Meaning, How's The World Treating You Chords, Listen Out 2020 Brisbane, Tupac Obituary, Nelsan Ellis Funeral, Common The Game Lyrics, Maximilian Mundt Instagram, The Prince And The Pauper Theme, Walk On The Wild Side Lyrics, Josh Duhamel Wife, Four Weddings And A Funeral Cast 2019, How Old Is Robert Forrest Gena Rowlands Husband, Yo Yo Rapper Eye Color, Ryan Yarbrough Game Log, The Weeknd New Album, Larry Holden Cause Of Death, Multiplicity Alternatives, Airheads Watch, A Million Little Pieces Showtimes, Jeepers Creepers 4, Vittoria Gassman Daughter Shelley Winters, The View Hosts, The Phantom Cast, Agriculture In Appalachian Plateau, Black Feed Instagram, Albert Runcorn Candy, Ferrara Italy Map, Made For Each Other Quotes, Francois Hougaard Instagram, Poppy Hillstead Age, Ziprecruiter Pricing, Walk The Line Movie Online, Back Then Meaning, Hashim Amla Parents, Male Lovebirds For Sale Near Me, Kendrick Lamar - The Art Of Peer Pressure, The Perfect Match - Ep 3 Eng Sub, Guinevere Nicknames, Ted Hill Eagle Idaho, Pete Davidson Snl Episodes, Watch Iron Maiden: Flight 666, Light In The Black, Others' Feelings, Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina Season 2 Episode 1, My Reputation Search, Level Up Lyrics Lil Tecca, Hairspray Songs In Order Lyrics, Apmex Gold, Mcdonald's Breakfast Hours, Celebrity Juice 2020 Episodes, Clara Read Wiki, Great Dane, Vanness Wu Child, Liverpool Vs Crystal Palace Match Stats, Duke Men's Basketball Podcast, Tablica Ouija Sklep, Peter Piper Lyrics, City Heat Bar Fight, Alaina Reed Hall Cause Of Death, East Carolina Football Schedule 2020, Kareem Campbell Net Worth,

Leave a Reply